UoL Research Center
The generation of new knowledge through research is a central and integral part of the vision, mission and strategy of UoL which places the same emphasis on excellence in research as in teaching and learning. Pertinent research findings are integrated into the curriculum and instruction by the faculty. High-quality research is professionally important for the faculty to be active researchers and publish in highly-ranked peer-reviewed international journals in order to keep up-to-date with their field and advance their academic standing and rank.
The mission of the UoL Research Center, directed by Professor Waldemar Pfoertsch, is to be providing the following services to the UoL research community:
- Identifying international funding opportunities and engage the UoL research community in their exploration and pursuit
- Advising the UoL community regarding European and international funding agencies’ rules, regulations and procedures.
- Training UoL faculty and staff members on the preparation and submission of quality proposals.
- Assisting UoL researchers with the preparation and submission of high-quality research proposals, including building research consortia.
- Assuring compliance with all applicable international sponsor / funding agency regulations and UoL policies and procedures.
- Assisting in grant agreement and contract negotiations.
- Helping with the procedural management of active research projects.
- Disseminating project results and ensuring the protection of any intellectual property developed during the project
- Develop the UoL Research Center into the University’s central mobilizer of human, financial and other resources to accelerate high-quality research activity
- Increase UoL’s competitive research funding success, with a new emphasis on research grants, large and cross-disciplinary proposals and international research collaborations
- Raise the profile of UoL’s research activity and expertise, both internally and internationally
- Continue recruiting senior faculty with a solid research track record and success in winning research grants to mentor junior faculty and doctoral students
- Build up the University’s Research Fund to further strengthen research support and incentives
- Enable faculty to buy back part of their teaching time to focus on their research by drawing on each School’s/ Department’s Research Fund.
A Research Seminar Series has been established in which UoL faculty members and invited well-established researchers from around the world present, to our faculty and the wider UoL community, recent published research, working papers and research in progress. Through our Research Seminar Series, we aim to: (i) stay in touch with the state-of-the-art research; (ii) improve our networking channels; (iii) promote collaborations with our presenters in terms of research papers and/or writing grant proposals; and, (iv) promote our school to the outside academic world.